Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Your Ticket to Healthy Skin


 Summer is here! For most of us college students that means lying around a pool or beach all summer (unless you’re graduating like me in which case you get to start your big kid job :O). Anyways, the beginning of summer usually also means that most college students, girls and guys, are rushing to the tanning beds, because heaven forbid you show up to the beach or pool pale.
           
Now I am a pale, pasty girl with English/Irish ancestry, so I have never tanned because tanning for me usually means turning bright red then going back to white as soon as my burn heals. But with recent studies that are coming out about tanning, I’m glad that I never took apart in this deadly trend.
           
That’s right, I said deadly.

People who use tanning beds are 74% more likely to develop deadly skin cancer known as melanoma than people who do not use tanning beds. Scary!

Plus tanning ages you prematurely. Tanning can severally damage your skin and leads to premature aging. (Ladies I hope you read this). Tanning can cause wrinkles, loss of skin elasticity and sunspots. Now I know that there are cosmetic treatments for things like this today, but do you really want to start Botox in your 20’s.

Now I know that most people think that this will never happen to them. But it really can, teens are young adults are diagnosed everyday with skin cancer caused by tanning or over exposure to UV rays.

So remember before you hit the beach or pool this summer, be smart and wear sunscreen! And if you want a nice warm tan you can always get a spray tan!

Your ticket to Campus Rec - Erin           

No comments:

Post a Comment