Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Your Ticket to a Healthy Heart

A few months ago I went to the dentist, and for whatever reason they take your blood pressure. Something about not dying while you’re getting your teeth cleaned…I don’t know really. Anyways, I had just drank about a gallon of coffee, I had to hurry there to get there, I almost got into a wreck, and I had a presentation in my class right after, oh and I absolutely hate go to the dentist (I mean when they say just a little poke they mean, excuse me while I stab you in the mouth with a prison shank). So needless to say I was a hot mess when I got there, and my blood pressure was a tad bit high. Well they left me alone for a few minutes and let me breath, so when they took it again it was back to my normal 110 over 55 (which yes I know is low, but I’m anemic, it happens)

So this got me thinking, what are some common misconceptions about high blood pressure?


1) There is nothing you can do to prevent high blood pressure.

False: Even if high blood pressure runs in your family you can do a lot to prevent getting this condition. You can eat right, exercise and not smoke.


2) Using kosher or sea salt is better for your heart.

False: Ummmm salt is salt…that’s why it’s called salt. No matter what your preference it is the same thing, and it all goes towards your daily sodium intake.

3) I feel fine. I don’t have high blood pressure.

False: High Blood Pressure is called the silent killer. Yicks. Most people don’t know that they have it, so even if you feel fine, it’s important to check yourself.


These are just a few things to keep in mind. I know that most college students aren’t even thinking about high blood pressure yet, but with today’s stress levels and our eating/exercise habits, it never hurts to be prepared.


Your Ticket to Campus Rec - Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment