Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Finding Your Personal Healthy Lifestyle

I am not someone whose natural inclination is to lift weights; however, in the fall of 2009 I found myself working out six days a week, lifting three days and cycling 30 plus miles the other three days. Then I rested on the seventh day. Not to say I was God, but I sure was feeling pretty supernatural. I lost 45 pounds from my 6-foot-2 frame, dropping from 225 to 180 in a span of six months. It helped that my mother is a personal trainer.



Unfortunately, a bout with the swine flu and a rough patch with my girlfriend, Jacqui, ripped me out of my routine. With all motivation lost, even after a quick reconciliation with my girlfriend, I slowly began to put the weight back on. It was a painful farewell to my abs and a self-pitying hello to my love handles.



My wedding to the aforementioned girlfriend, now fiancĂ©e, happens at the end of May. Thank you for your congratulations. I put off getting back into shape for the big date until two weeks ago. I was back at 225, but this time I swore the weight would stay off. Two weeks in and I’ve lost ten pounds. This time around the goal is to find a routine that I can live with, because in order to achieve permanent weight loss one must change lifestyles, not start a fad diet.



I am going to find my personal healthy lifestyle. As stated previously, working out does not come naturally to me. Fortunately, these days I have a dog named Scarlett. Jacqui, Scarlett, and I have discovered the joys of running together. My interest in running is most definitely new, but there are few greater challenges than trying to keep up with an Australian Shepherd. The three of us like tackling the mountain bike trails across from the Arboretum together on foot.



I am only a couple weeks into my lifestyle change and the road is a long one. The most challenging aspect for me is watching what I eat. I enjoy food and I have a reputation amongst my friends for being able to wolf down a lot of it. I used to be an ardent drinker of Mountain Dew, but I’ve stopped that. Corn chips, potato chips, Triscuits, club crackers, if it’s loaded with carbs and calories then I’m down. However, I am back to asking myself a pivotal question, “will eating this lead to the lifestyle I want to live?” The answer for all of those snacks is no, they will not. Well…maybe the occasional Triscuit…those things are good.


The challenge I pose to readers is to find his/her personal healthy lifestyle. Simple changes like eliminating soda from one’s diet, or replacing the potato chip snacks with fruits and vegetables can make the difference between adding ten pounds and losing ten pounds. Tom Naughton’s documentary, Fat Head, (which I highly recommend) states that Americans consume an inordinate amount of their calories from beverages and snacking. Another change could include making better decisions at restaurants. Instead of the large waffle fries and large sweet tea, perhaps try the fruit cup and unsweetened tea with those chicken strips.


Not only will eating healthy and exercising lead to a body he/she can be confident in, but more importantly one will experience a better quality of life. A year and a half ago, I dramatically decreased my sugar intake. This reduction increased the pleasure I gained from eating fruits. I love raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries, so when I reduced my high fructose corn syrup consumption, eating fresh berries became a new experience. Fruit became my candy, candy my body benefitted from eating.


Changing one’s lifestyle is a difficult challenge. There will be pitfalls, failures, and progress gained then swiftly lost. However, it is possible. I have done it before, although it feels like a lifetime ago now. Reduce wasted time, such as procrastinating or sleeping in too late and get active. Become healthier for one’s self, not for anyone else. Because after all, it’s your life, make it a healthy one.



Jack’d Up – Zachary Overfield

No comments:

Post a Comment