Friday, March 4, 2011

Empowerment Tip #17: Empower yourself SOCIALLY, by participating in a national phenomenon!

This is your time, join 10 million people all over the world participating in the Zumba phenomenon.


Thanks to Alberto Perez, a native Columbian, Zumba was created in the mid-90s, when Perez forgot his fitness music at home and improvised by using his favorite latin jams. The class used sultry and spicy music and movement that was initiated by the individual’s movement rather than by spoken counts.


Since its introduction to the U.S. in 2001, Zumba has evolved into a huge fitness trend. And almost every rec center you visit is guaranteed to offer a Zumba class.

In the spirit of experimentation, I decided it was about time for me to go and participate in this fad. So Monday night at 6:30 p.m., I commenced on my one-hour Zumba journey.


Once 7:30 p.m. rolled around I had two gallons of sweat saturated into my shirt and a very tired body.


In essence Zumba is an intense hour of all cardio movement.When I say all cardio it’s no exaggeration.


I’m sure your thinking, how could this be fun?


It was best described by Rachel Sampeck, Zumba Instructor at Campus Recreation, after her first class. “Oh my god! How does anybody do this for fun?” but after awhile it becomes “ kind of addicting.” And now Sampeck said, “I would do this even if I didn’t get paid!”


How can you compete with that kind of enthusiasm?!


When Sampeck teaches she inspires her students to be as outgoing and involved in Zumba-ing as she is.


Although the class is cardio focused, it is also all about enjoying who you are and your own creative expression. The music is motivational and fun and because the classes are so popular it is as much a social event as a fitness class.


The fun in Zumba outweighs how exhausted it makes you.


So join in on this hot and spicy class every Monday and Wednesday from 6:30 p.m. -7:30p.m. or Friday from 1p.m.-2 p.m.

Just Grindin’ the ax- Liza

No comments:

Post a Comment