Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Discover Spring through the trails of Nacogdoches

Spring is here already, I can’t believe it. Spring Break is over and the end of the semester looms ahead of SFA students, as they look forward to their final projects, papers and tests.


As the summer draws nearer and Texas threatens its residents with the coming heat, we need to spend every spare minute outside. So how contradictory is it that during this short season we are enjoying, spring, we get our workout indoors?


This Spring Break I had an epiphany, jogging outside is actually more enjoyable than running on an indoor track.


All this time I’ve professed this hate of jogging, but really it’s the scenery that is boring and hateful. As soon as I got outside and started jogging, the experience was 10 times more invigorating. I was getting my vitamin D and breaking a real heat-induced sweat. I felt alive.


The medical effects of jogging are mostly in the strengthening of your heart. Jogging helps prevent future heart disease. The endorphins jogging creates in your body give you energy and help improve productivity.


So my suggestion to all you readers is give OUTDOOR jogging a try. I surprised myself and you might be surprised too.


There are trails all over Nacogdoches. The routes Campus Rec offers are Jogging Jacks, Scenic Stroll, Campus Crawl, and Tejas Trail. For maps and details about these trails, please visit the Campus Rec website: http://www.sfasu.edu/campusrec/104.asp


Breathe in Spring!


Just grindin’ the ax- Liza

No comments:

Post a Comment