Friday, October 15, 2010

Empowerment Tip #7: Empower youself EMOTIONALLY by taking "me" time.

Yesterday when I was working out, something hit me.


I entered the Rec and walked over to an elliptical in my usual spot upstairs facing the pool. I had three things in my hand: water bottle, ipod and cell phone. As I was running on the elliptical I did not refrain from answering text messages. In fact, I almost never do. When I had three different conversations going I thought to myself, “Steph, this is ridiculous!”


I came to the Rec to work out and spend some time on myself. Even though I didn’t come with anyone and was physically alone, my mind was still on other people and my text message conversations. Defeats the purpose, right?


When I was done on the elliptical, I decided to put my phone in my backpack and run a few laps. The sense of freedom I felt in 10 minutes on the track without my cell phone was unbelievable.

I continued the rest of my workout with out it.


Look, I don’t want to be thought of as a technophobic who would rather write letters and hates the internet. I love technology. I live a fast-paced life and I love any advances that make things easier.


All I’m saying is, if you never take your mind off of everything around you, when is there time for you? Maybe people need to start making personal limits on the amount of time a day they will be available via text, e-mail, facebook etc. What’s so scary about taking an hour to ourselves a day?


When I left the Rec I felt refreshed physically from my workout and emotionally because I had time COMPLETLEY to myself. I hardly even touched my phone the rest of the night.

Just something to think about.


YOUR inside connection to Campus Rec- Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment