Friday, October 1, 2010

Empowerment Tip #5: empower yourself FINANCIALLY by managing your money.

Credit cards are a college student’s bear trap. My advice is to prevent forming the habit all together. Try to look at it as negative money rather than free money. If you start adding up the amount of negative money you will have in your head, than maybe you will resist the urge. Also, I don’t disagree with filling out an application so you can get free food, but just make sure you cut up the card when you get it in the mail! And never sign anything you don’t understand.


Try writing down how much you are spending. Look at budgeting as a reward system rather than punishment. If you avoid impulse buys you will end up with only the things you actually want and need rather than something that you’ll end up regretting. If you need to make a big purchase, try saving money instead of spending what you don’t have. That way, when you do make the purchase you will feel accomplished instead of worrying about the money you spent.


Make lists and weed out the things you don’t need urgently. If I don’t have a list when I walk into Wal-Mart, it is never good for my bank account. I end up throwing things in the cart that I don’t need at all. On the other hand, when I am prepared, I make my purchases and still have money left over. This may result in more trips to the store, but that’s just a fact you’re going to have to face until you get settled into a career with steady money!


That’s another thing. I know my current financial situation isn’t forever, and that’s what keeps me going sometimes. Remind yourself that you’re in college. You’re suppose to be struggling. Think about some of the things you have started to accept as balanced meals. Ramen noodles? Cereal? It’s actually pretty funny. And knowing that you will be able to have nicer things some day should put a smile on your face. At the end of the day, the reason you are here is to better yourself for the future.


If you build good habits now, the chances you will have financial success in the later in life will be much greater.


YOUR inside connection to Campus Rec- Steph

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! I use to be an SFA Student a few years ago. Even though I don't get to work out at your great rec center anymore, I find your post funny and very well written. Keep up the great work!

    Check out my blog if you ever get bored. Its just starting up!

    http://thoughtsofrandomthinking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete