Thursday, July 1, 2010

Breathe in breathe out...laugh.

Yoga is something I think most people are curious about whether or not they end up trying it. Something about it seems fashion forward and exciting. My mom has belonged to a fancy yoga studio for a couple years now and claims to be addicted. She has permanently given up her gym membership and strictly practices this relaxing health routine.

But where does it come from? And why has it become so popular?

Discover-yoga-online offers a great description. Yoga began in India and is now a way of life. It goes beyond physical fitness and relaxation. It’s believed that with inner peace comes happiness.

I’m sure you’ve heard something along the lines of yoga being an exploration of ones self. But how can a workout be a form of self-discovery? Traditional exercise involves some type of accessory that forces the body to focus on a specific region. Besides the mat designed for comfort, and small block for stability yoga requires only one thing: you. It teaches how to stretch and stimulate the muscles using only means already attached.

Has anyone ever told you to take a deep breath? We get so busy in our day-to-day lives that we actually forget to do something as simple as breathing. The body and mind can’t function properly unless the airways are being filled. When we get stressed we tend to take short breaths, which only makes our problems worse.

My point? Yoga re-teaches the body how to breathe. Instructors will constantly remind the class to breathe in and out slowly while performing poses- resulting in a restored body and mind.

Interested? Visit a yoga class at the Rec! I went to my first Campus Rec yoga class last week and learned a lot.

For one, I am not as flexible as I once was. Once upon a time, I remember doing cartwheels and splits around my front yard pretending I was an Olympic gymnast. Times have changed.

I didn’t let my lack of practice stop me, although I did giggle my way through it.

I’ve experienced several moments like this in life. Let me set the scene for you. It’s a social situation that requires silence such as a classroom or ceremony. There’s always friend involved. We make eye contact and smile, one person starts laughing (usually me) and from there it becomes a chain reaction. Every time I look at the person that started my initial laughter; I can’t hold it in. The more aware I am that I am not suppose to laugh in that setting, the harder it becomes not to.

In this case, it was my promotions accomplice, Lauren, helping to fuel the laughter. You’ll notice my face in the pictures trying to stay serious. Luckily, my classmates didn’t seem to mind.

Laughter aside, after the cycling class it felt great to relax and stretch out.

Some poses were out of the question for me so the instructor offered alternatives. That’s the great thing about it- there’s always a way to modify for beginners.

Not convinced yet?

My mom and I share the trait of extremely long legs. Because of this we have always been told to bend at the knees and not the waist to avoid straining the back. Unfortunately, the ideal way of kneeling down doesn’t always follow through in the instant it takes to pick something up off the ground. Therefore, my mom has struggled with back problems most of her life. Since practicing yoga, I am happy to report that her back problems are no more. I can’t even remember the last time I saw her with a heating pad!

Yoga takes practice, but it’s worth a shot! Campus Rec offers an intimidation free atmosphere where beginners are always welcome. Yoga enthusiasts love spreading the word (trust me I lived with one)!

Have a great fourth and remember all facilities are closed July 3-4 due to the holiday!

YOUR inside connection to Campus Rec- Steph

1 comment: