Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ask a Trainer!

Ever have a lingering question about fitness or nutrition? I thought you might, so I walked around the Rec with my Flip video asking people to share them. Once I had a good amount of questions, I sat down with Campus Rec fitness and wellness graduate assistant/ personal trainer, Alissa Underhill to find the answers. You may recognize Underhill from my cycling blog a few weeks ago. Here are the questions, followed by Underhill’s answers, and my take on each one:

1. How is it that some people seem to work out constantly and not lose any weight?

Generally, they are in taking more calories than they are burning.



My take: All right, well that makes sense. After a workout I have a tendency to eat more than I normally would because I have sort of a starving sensation in my stomach. Making sure I have eaten enough before I work out should help the matter.



2. Why do some people have more defined 6-packs than others?

The rectus abdominis is genetic. It doesn’t matter how much core work you do, if you have a 2-pack, you will always have a 2-pack. However, you must lose the layer of abdominal fat over the muscle before you will be able to see what genetics has/ hasn’t given you.



My take: I love it; it’s like a Christmas present. Or a box of chocolates: you never know what you’re gonna get.



3. How many calories are in a pound of fat?

Roughly 3,500.



My take: Nothing but indecent images of reality TV plastic surgery shows come to my mind on that one.



4. What’s the correct way to do a squat?

This question is better answered with a video demonstration:









My take: I can barely do a wall-sit.



5. Is running on a treadmill equivalent to running on a track?

No. Treadmills have more give in them so the energy returned back into your feet is more, making it less difficult than running on a track.



My take: Considering the 100-degree weather Nacogdoches has been having, I’ll stick to a treadmill. Good to know for future reference though.



6. How can I get in the habit of eating healthier?

Gradually change your diet by adding fruits and vegetables. Most people fail at dieting when they try to starve themselves, or do too much all at once.



My take: So true. I’m always like, “OK. Today is the day it starts.” And then I am so hungry by the next day I go back to my old habits. Maybe if I gradually changed things healthier eating would be easier to stick to.



7. Which cardio machine will give me the best cardio workout?

Whichever one you will use. There are machines with higher intensity, but chances are there is a particular machine you’re more comfortable on than others. Stick to what works for you.



My take: I love her answer on this one. Any time I get on an exercise bike I get right back off. The cycling class was an exception since I had Underhill in front of me demonstrating exactly what to do. Elliptical machines are the only ones that feel right when I’m working out on my own. Why force something that’s uncomfortable?



8. What is a calorie?

This could get complex, but essentially a calorie is energy measured by heat.



My take: I’ll take it. That’s good enough. She tried to further explain the process of burning calories to me, completely unaware that I am a journalism major who got a “D” for done in my only ever science class at SFA. A calorie is energy? Cool.



9. How many calories should I intake per day based on my height?

It depends on how active you are. The more active you are the more calories you need- but remember not to overcompensate.



My take: I could see where this gets confusing for people. I think unless you’re trying shed some pounds you shouldn’t worry about counting calories. As long as you’re not eating fast food every day, and you’re getting regular exercise, there’s no need to stress over numbers. But maybe that’s just me- math was never my subject either.



10. How much exercise should I do for my weight/ height?

In order to maintain a healthy weight, most sources recommend 30 minutes of moderate exercise 3- 5 days a week. If you’re trying to loose weight you need to increase that workout to about an hour as well as increasing intensity.



My take: Awesome. Three days a week = so doable.



11. How do I eat right?

Eat more fruits and vegetables. Don’t eliminate carbs- your body needs the glucose. Check out: www.mypyramid.gov .



My take: Good to know. Spaghetti is my favorite dish- ask my roommates, I make it almost every day.



12. How do I get skinny fast?!

Typically, the faster you loose the weight, the quicker you put it back on. It’s extremely unhealthy to constantly go up and down in weight. Loosing 2 lbs. a week is ideal. That way you can make sure you are loosing fat and not water weight or muscle. Cardio workouts are ideal for loosing weight, but remember to do strength-training exercises as well.



My take: I have never attempted to starve myself, but I have had friends who have. I encourage anyone with body image issues to see someone. These issues may seem harmless, but can quickly turn into life long diseases. Campus Rec wants to help this cause by promoting National Eating Disorder Awareness Week (February 21-27). For more information visit: www.nationaleatingdisorders.org .



13. What is the best thing to eat for lunch while you’re on the go?

Sandwiches with wholegrain bread, turkey or chicken, and no mayonnaise will do the trick. Add veggies to spice them up.



My take: I like to spice up my sandwiches with peppers and Hot Cheetoes. At least most of it is healthy.



14. How does healthy food affect our fitness?

They go hand-in-hand. Eating healthy will keep you’re insides functioning at their prime as well as keeping your energy and motivation up.



My take: Yeah. When I know I am doing absolutely nothing, that’s when I reach for the Big Mac. I never want to work out after I eat fast food.





15. How does caffeine intake affect weight-loss and maintenance?

Caffeine dehydrates the body. If you are going to drink it, try to balance it with water. Diet drinks have no sugar and fewer calories, but water is always preferred. If water bores you, try adding a crystal light pack to your bottle.

Most of the energy drinks/ shots sold in convenience stores have not been fully tested. It is hard to know what they will do to you. Try to save them for emergencies.

My take: That last part reminds me of the era when people didn’t know cigarettes were bad. I have thought about that a lot in comparison with the energy products so readily available in our generation. Who knows what’s in them, or for that matter the effects they will have on us later in life. I’ll try to stay away from those, but there is no way I will ever get off my morning coffee. I started at 16, and at 22 I am still truckin’ with my morning addiction.



I hope you enjoyed and learned a few things! Check out this video footage of my encounters with people whose questions are featured; and leave comments with other fitness/nutrition questions you want me to find the answers to!









YOUR inside connection to Campus Rec- Steph



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Alan! I hope you keep reading. I post every Thursday. And Kelsey, yes, Crystal Light is healthier. It has a small amount of calories and sodium, but not nearly as much excess unhealthy ingredients as soft drinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and what do you think about diet pills, such as adipex pills, for example? Are you for or against them?

    ReplyDelete