Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What's YOUR New Year's resolution?

It’s that time again: New Year’s resolutions. Do you make one, or ride into the New Year free of inhabitations?


I have to admit I didn’t come up with one until today as I was walking to my first class of the semester. I decided not to fight for parking spots this time around. It’s my eighth semester at SFA and I’ve had about enough of the morning parking battlefield. This morning I opted on the commuter lot as a first option.


I figure on the days I don’t have time to work out (which happens to be most days) parking in the commuter lot and then making the long hike to the communication building will make up for it. I feel like I will also be a much more peaceful person as a result. The only major adjustment will be time, but I can sacrifice a few minutes in the morning for peace and harmony.


I made a hypothesis that the New Year’s resolutions of my peers revolve around physical health. It’s cliché, but the fact is most of us could stand to make some improvements.


The result? After conducting a verbal survey at the Rec, my hypothesis can be deemed a fact. Excuse the lingo- I am currently enrolled in my last science core credit and am trying to get back in the swing of things. But the truth is whether it’s exercising more, eating better or not excessively socializing, college students want to be healthier.


Fortunately for you, Campus Recreation is at your service.


This semester is cram packed with Group Exercise classes, Intramural, Sport Clubs and Outdoor Pursuits events, as well Wellness services to help you recover from it all.


Here’s some of what’s coming up:


Men’s and women’s basketball starts next week and registration ENDS TOMORROW. So get your team together and send a representative to the Rec tomorrow, January 20 from 11 p.m. - 4 p.m. to sign up.


For all you runners out there looking for a challenge, come ask a Fitness Assistant about Race Across Texas anytime from now until February 7.


Outdoor Pursuits is hosting Paintball in the Piney Woods Saturday, February 12. The registration deadline is February 7, so if you’re interested in a messy, wild day of fun get on it!


Friday, the Rec will introduce its new blogger, Liza Mac Donald. Mac Donald is a current Campus Rec Administration Office employee who will be spending some time this semester interning with us in Promotions. One of her duties as an intern will be collaborating with me on the blog. We are very pleased about this addition to our team and are expecting exciting things from her!


YOUR inside connection to Campus Rec- Steph

1 comment: