Thursday, August 12, 2010

Ride with SFA

The fall semester is approaching and it’s the perfect time for me to investigate ways for you to spend your free time through Campus Recreation! How about sport clubs? I picked two to that I felt are interesting, and may be misunderstood: rugby and skateboarding. I will reserve rugby for next week, because after meeting with both I realized they are each too awesome on their own to share space! So, this week it’s all about SFA Skateboarding!

I contacted Micheal Wilson, who is in charge of communications and marketing. He answered my questions, and pointed me in the direction of President, Clifton Ellis, and Recruitment Officer, Marc Jackson. They were more than happy to meet with me and tell me all about with they do. I even got a private lesson, as well as a demonstration of a long board race!


Currently, Nacogdoches doesn’t have a skate park; so long board racing is what the team specializes in. A short board averages at about 20 mph, and a long board can get up to 60. Its long design makes it much easier to balance on, which is comforting because the races take place on hills.


After a race, funny awards are given out, such as “best crash” and “slowest rider.” The team travels all around Texas to compete against other universities, as well as non-collegiate teams. Their most notable event takes place in Austin and is known as 24-hour skate. They spend the weekend skating in a privately owned skate park. If they want, they can even sleep there!


The team is currently working on a project to get a university ramp built, which will increase short board participation.


“We have the most active university skate team in the country. If we had a park we would be the only university in the country to have one,” Wilson said.


Last fall, in its second year in existence, the team reached 40 active members- including both men and women. They are ALWAYS open to new skaters, and will even teach beginners. Current members experience levels range quite a bit. They are also gracious for help with team management and photography.


SFA will host a race in October. There is no set date yet, but I will keep you posted. It’s something you won’t wanna miss!


Watch this video of my encounter with Jackson and Ellis, and visit our sport club page to learn more about the 19 clubs SFA offers! Also note the information about starting your own club.



http://www.sfasu.edu/campusrec/sport-clubs/index.asp


YOUR inside connection to Campus Rec- Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment